[plug] Aint it the truth !

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Wed Nov 12 10:35:41 WST 2003

At 10:11 12/11/2003 +0800, you wrote:
>In message <5.1.0.14.2.20031112095252.04368ab0 at cyllene.uwa.edu.au>
>on Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 10:08:42AM +0800, Denis Brown wrote:
> > try "australia" and you'll see 40 million plus for Google, 1727
> > - that is NOT a typo - for MSN.
>
>Let me guess: "Perth Linux Users' Group (Australia)" gets a negative
>number of hits on MSN? ;-)

Errr... no actually.  4284 to be precise.   How odd that PLUG is more
widely known than "australia"!!!???   Something to do with
capitalisation?   Nope, "Australia" also gets 1727 on MSN.

So, how DO search bots work?   I presume they just crawl over the web
starting at www.a.[com|org|net|gov|edu|whatever] and finish up at
www.zzzzzzzzzzzz.[com|...|...|whatever] and attempt to open pages found
along the way.   Page contents are read and indexed, recursing through the
tree, then the next addy is tried.   That being the case, how would it be
possible to so cripple a search engine's hit count?   Maybe all those
patches are taking up Bill's disk space :-(

Cheers,
Denis