[plug] Microsoft prepares security assault on Linux

Ben New benplug at leftclick.com.au
Wed Nov 12 12:23:42 WST 2003

Richard Meyer wrote:

> http://www.techworld.com/news/index.cfm?fuseaction=displaynews&newsid=643
>

> <quote>
>
> In a sign that the inroads made by the Open Source community are starting
> to rattle the software giant, Microsoft has hired several analysts to
> review how fast holes are patched in the open source software and is
> expected to announce that Windows compares favourably.
>
> </quote>

<quote from="Steve Ballmer">

Why should code submitted randomly by some hacker in China and
distributed by some open source project, why is that, by definition, better?

</quote>

Their ability to just not get it is almost hypnotic...

I think Ballmer's understanding of Open Source is about equivalent to
George Bush's understanding of Islam.  Something that poses a threat and
should therefore be eliminated.

<quote from="me ;-)">

Why should closed code, submitted through a totally opaque process and
distributed by a single, corporate entity, be better than code produced
by many thousands of developers, from all over the world, each with a
different perspective and skillset, in a co-operative and completely
transparent development system (i.e. the Net)?

</quote>

--
Ben @ Leftclick
http://www.leftclick.com.au/