[plug] [article] Open Code Market (OCM)

Mike Holland myk at westnet.com.au
Fri Nov 14 11:16:53 WST 2003

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, James Devenish wrote:

> If the GPL is to be a legally-binding contract then...well...isn't

How could the GPL be a contract? A major point of the GPL is you don't
need to seek permission. A need to sign a contract would break the spirit
of the GPL.

> > # The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor
>
> That is patently untrue. The GPL might work flawlessly in an all-GPL
> world, but that is not the world we live in. The GPL intentionally
> limits people's ability to exercise freedom #2. (Aside: I wonder if

You are not free to take away those freedoms from others. That is the only
limit. The age-old conflict between personal and societal freedom.

> there's a reason the freedoms are zero-indexed.) If I'm not mistaken,
> the GPL limits freedom in order to ensure openness. It can also be used

(As I understand it) openness is required to support freedom. That is the
goal. You are not free to restrict the rights of others (on GPL'ed code).

> to limit freedom for personal gain (e.g. I have heard Hans Reiser using
> the GPL in this way -- not that he's a bad person). BTW I don't claim to

Whats that mean?
If you write a program, you can release it under both GPL, and
commercial licences, contracts even. But you cannot just take someone
elses code, add a bit, and sell it under more restrictive licensing.