slepping, was Re: [plug] [article] Open Code Market (OCM)

Mike Holland myk at westnet.com.au
Fri Nov 14 14:35:57 WST 2003

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, Derek Fountain wrote:

> > [1] Attention pedants: Am I correct in assuming "licence" is the noun
> > and "license" is the verb?  Too bloody lazy to check a dictionary (-:
>
> No, the noun and verb are both "licence". The "license" variant is the same
> word with the American spelling and has no place in .au or .uk English.

Ooooohhh! A spelling flamewar! Let me jump in.

In modern UK English, Cameron is correct.
However US usage (which is often just older, less frenchified, British
usage) 'license' is used for both.

Derek, do you spell it "computer programme"?

BTW, did you know that the OED prefers the -ize suffix to -ise?
The latter is a recent French affectation.