slepping, was Re: [plug] [article] Open Code Market (OCM)

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Fri Nov 14 15:08:23 WST 2003

On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 02:35:57PM +0800, Mike Holland wrote:

| In modern UK English, Cameron is correct.

Wooo!

<singing>
I am the very model of one versed in language pedantry,
I've corrections for bad spelling, lousy grammar and apostrophes,
[...]
</singing>

| Derek, do you spell it "computer programme"?

I'm not Derek but I personally prefer to refer to it as "software" or
some such, because using "programme" for the computing sense of the word
would make me look like a poncy pommy prat :-P   Something like that,
anyway.

| BTW, did you know that the OED prefers the -ize suffix to -ise?

Yes.  Doesn't mean I have to agree with it though.  IMNSHO -ise looks
better.  I was also under the impression that most Brits (and those in
Australia/NZ/Canada who haven't been influenced by US spelling yet)
still used -ise, so I would have thought that as a dictionary's role is
to record current usage, the OED should recommend -ise too.  (That being
said I haven't actually read the thing so I don't know what there
reasoning is.)

Cameron.