[plug] debian question

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Sun Nov 16 17:34:24 WST 2003

In message <sfb7b84f.032 at mmtnetworks.com.au>
on Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 05:47:44PM +0800, Jon  Miller wrote:
> Just starting using debian (finally made the change from RedHat).
> Like to know what is the equivalence of rpm -qi (package information)

There are a few common ones. For instance, if you are using APT:
apt-cache show <packagename>
apt-cache showpkg <packagename>

> or rpm -ql (package listing).

I'm not sure what -ql does (isn't listed in the man page on a Redhat 9.0
machine I'm logged into). If you want to see installed packages:
dpkg -l

> What I need to know is how to check the version of a file in debian.

By file, I assume you mean 'package'.

If you want to find out which package a file belongs to, you could use:
dpkg -S <filename>
To see what files are provided by a package, you could use:
dpkg -L <packagename>

> Tried man -k file version, but this didn't show me what I needed to know.

There is some good documentation of APT package management commands at
<http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/index.en.html>. More docs
are listed at <http://www.debian.org/doc/>.