[plug] Diskless booting and devfs

Adam Davin bladebadger at westnet.com.au
Mon Nov 17 19:47:37 WST 2003

Good Evening All,

I have been playing with diskless booting for the last few weeks.  I am using Devfs and the etherboot package along with the client root directories /tftpboot/%s
The client boots fine and gets to the login prompt.

I am using a debian woody install with parts from unstable.

During the boot process, just after the kernel has finished booting, rcS kicks in and starts running the scripts in the /etc/rcS directory. The first script in there is the devFS script and when it runs, it comes up with a list of "Unknown user: <...> defaulting to uid 0 Unknown group: <...>, defaulting to GID 0 "

The root directory of the client is being mounted fine by the kernel, and the /etc/group and /etc/passwd files are both in the clients root partition. It would seem to be not seeing the client root partition when devfs is trying to set permissions and create the new entries or at least not finding passwd and group. The users and groups are in the files as they have been copied straight over from my main box that I am setting up as the server.

I am not quite sure what else to look at or where else I can go from here..

any one have any ideas?

Thanks in Advance

Adam Davin