[plug] Re: Backups

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Tue Nov 18 17:55:28 WST 2003

Steve Grasso wrote:
> As long as we're all sharing scripts (hi Brad!) I've used the following
> method to do network backups of drive partitions using a combo of dd, gzip
> and SSH:
>
> 1. The partition to be backed up must be unmounted.
> 2. The following does the trick:
> dd if=/dev/partition_to_be_backed_up | gzip | \
> ssh user_name at backup.server dd of=name_of_backup_file.gz

I do a similar thing with nc every time I migrate to a new laptop.
Fire up tomsrtbt (or these days a self made little distro) and pipe the
entire partition across nc, or more recently use tar and pipe the tar
file across. Do the same thing in reverse on the new laptop, run
grub-install and boom.. system migrated.

I did have problems using busybox tar for filesystems with deep dir
structures as it used to run out of puff at about 100 chars.
For that particular instance I kept a staticaly linked copy of gnu tar
handy.

Brad