[plug] Compaq WL200 PCI 802.11b

Quintin Lette quintin at arach.net.au
Tue Nov 18 21:24:19 WST 2003

Hi,

Has anyone managed to get one of these working?

I have tried _everything_ (tm)

It works perfectly in Windows 2000 (after successfully installing on the 3rd
machine) and "sort of" works with the Gentoo 1.4 Live CD but only enough to
detect the network, not actually use it. Also I was only able to get it to
work with the orinoco_cs driver and I am hoping to use hostap.

So far I have compiled about 50 kernels, and tried 3 different linux distros,
as well as openbsd and freebsd, on 4 different intel boxes and a Powermac (if
anyone can tell me what memory allocation to give PCMCIA for the PowerMac
7200/120 that would be ideal as this was the closest I managed to get on
Debian, my distro of choice.)

I guess I could just give up and buy a cheap AP, but where's the fun in that?

My 4.5 month old baby is starting to get too active now so I need to be able
to work away from the computer room (with Laptop) while my wife is overseas,
waiting for her visa, and running cat 5 is out of the question.  This also
rules out the idea of coming along to the workshop.

Everything I have read on these cards from Google seems to mention RH7.3, SuSE
6.4 and FreeBSD 4.7 all a bit old in the tooth. I'm hoping to get it working
with Sid.

Thanks

Quintin