[plug] cancelling a CUPS print job

Adrian Blockley a.blockley at poboxes.com
Wed Nov 19 20:12:39 WST 2003

I recently had similar problems with CUPS not flushing the print buffer. It was a big job and several power cycles did not flush the buffer. The only way I could get the printer to stop was to unload the kernel printer modules after stopping the cups daemon.

I think the relevant modules are:

parport_pc             28008   1 (autoclean)
lp                      6912   0 (autoclean)
parport                26752   1 (autoclean) [parport_pc lp]

Once I unloaded the modules I restarted CUPS and restarted the printer and all was well.

Cheers

Adrian

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 14:11:21 +0800 (WST)
Mike Holland <myk at westnet.com.au> wrote:

>  On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Bernd Felsche wrote:
>  > Cycle the power on whatever's connected to the parallel port.
>
>  Yes, I've always done that to flush the junk from the printer buffer.
>
>  > top will tell you why parallel is waiting; well sort of.
>
>  Its just trying to continue the print job, but should have exited.
>  Maybe cups is sending it a kill signal, since it ignores them.
>  You need kill -9.
>
>  Now its worse. This time, I cancel the job, kill parallel, and cyle the
>  printer. CUPS says printer is not reasy. Restarting CUPS doesnt fix it.
>
>  Does _anybody_ have CUPS working properly with a parallel printer?

"There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who
understand binary, and those who don't."

Adrian  Blockley
32 Darwinia Loop
Canningvale WA, 6155

Ph: 08 9256 1953