[plug] Linux PDA with GSM, GPRS and DPS

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Wed Nov 19 22:07:30 WST 2003

On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 01:55:14PM +0800, Mike Holland wrote:
> (thats GPS)
> On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Bernd Felsche wrote:
>
> > Just spotted this one... worth about AUD$1000.00
> > 	http://www.invair.de/index.html
>
> Nice PDA version looks good, but why have we not heard more of it? This
> was supposed to be released in early 2002. Slashdot had an article.
> The 1-handed input system looks interesting - wheel + 3 buttons.
> Anybody seen one? Was it vapourware?

The Messenger was due to start shipping in September 2003.
Haven't yet found anybody who sells them. Other models are available
online.

The earlier ones do/did sell; but mainly in Europe; which is why it's
such a low profile here.

> Searching google, there are plenty of pres-releases, but did any
> ever sell?

I suppose you read the German magazine reviews? :-)

> The new version is bigger, but still only 148g, with GSM, GPS.
> And bluetooth, WLAN (is that WiFi?), MP3s,

Yep. WiFi.

Gone from metal to plastic housing. Battery is Li-Polymer, which is
nice because it gives 280 hours of standby (mobile phone) and about
12 hours of use according to the manufacturer.

Only bummer is the small screen; but what can you expect on
something the size of a credit card?

> > Sorry, specs are in German... Linux is installed as standard.
>
> There are english PDFs:
> http://www.invair.ch/invair-mobile.pdf
> http://www.invair.ch/presse-cebit2003-english.pdf

> > Cool tool for '04??
>
> Sehr kool!!!! If it ever actually materialises.

Sehr kuhl! :-)

Their support archives appear to include all sources, etc.