the ponderings of a fence-sitter [was Re: [plug] Debian - clueless :o}]

Richard Meyer meyerri at au1.ibm.com
Fri Nov 21 10:33:23 WST 2003

----- Forwarded by Richard Meyer/Australia/Contr/IBM on 21/11/2003 10:25 AM
-----

                      Sol Hanna
                      <sol at autonomon.ne        To:       plug at plug.linux.org.au
                      t>                       cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: the ponderings of a fence-sitter [was Re: [plug] Debian -     clueless
                      plug-admin at plug.l         :o}]
                      inux.org.au

                      21/11/2003 10:24
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      plug

>On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 20:29, Derek Fountain wrote:
>>  I ran Slackware for a while, then RHL, then switched to
>> SUSE-5.something a few years back. I've used SUSE ever since.
>I don't know anyone here that's been using Suse that long.

I can't claim that amount of association with SuSE, but I've been using it
since 6.1. I bought it mainly because it was the only way I could get
ADABAS, and found I liked the distro more than any other.

>> So why did I step over to debian tonight? Well, I've used SUSE too long.
>> need to broaden my understandings of the state of the art.
>Wise move. From my experience Debian will broaden you experience, but
>not necessarily give you state of the art. Even the Unstable version's
>packages are behind the leading RPM distros. Not that that's a bad
>thing. Debian is aiming for reliability and portability - both noble
>goals - rather than being bleeding edge.

I've been dual-booting between Mdk/SuSE, and have come down on the Mdk side
at last. I have installed Debian 5 times, without any real satisfaction, so
I'm going to give Gentoo a go. BillK suggested that it was a real learning
experience. It seems pretty cutting edge, and 2 partitions on my secondary
box are available for use - since I haven't booted into windows on it for
more than 6 months, I suppose I won't miss it when it goes   ;)

RichardM