[plug] Ext3, and fsck auto-checks

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Fri Nov 21 12:04:32 WST 2003

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 11:54:03AM +0800, Trevor Phillips wrote:
> Ok, I've been using ext3 for a while now, and other than the lack of undeletes
> (which ext2 has to a degree), it's been very useful.
>
> When I create an ext3 partition, the fs is set with automatic check
> parameters. eg; "every 35 mounts or 180 days". Is this auto-check still
> necessary (or even highly recommended) with ext3?

IMHO, even a perfect journalling filesystem is not immune to
hardware failure and the occasional bitflip, so unless the
filesystem fsck's itself when online and idle, it's a wise move to
fsck it every now and again anyway.

If you have multiple partitions, you can stagger the time between
fscks (with tune2fs), so that you won't have one long delay on boot
one day, rather some shorter delays more often.

Regards,

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham