[plug] copy old hdd to new hdd

Tim White linuxalien at optusnet.com.au
Sat Nov 22 10:15:36 WST 2003

My 80Gb barracuda is on the way out. I am looking at getting a replacement
of the same size. My drive contains 8 partitions which are NTFS, FAT, ext3,
and swap.
The drive is as follows
hda: hda1 hda2 hda3 < hda5 hda6 hda7 hda8 hda9 >
Is it possible to just copy it over using dd?
dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdc
or do I need to recreate the partition table on the new table and copy each
partition separately?
dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdc bs=512 count=1
dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/dev/hdc1
dd if=/dev/hda2 of=/dev/hdc2
dd if=/dev/hda3 of=/dev/hdc3
dd if=/dev/hda5 of=/dev/hdc5
dd if=/dev/hda6 of=/dev/hdc6
dd if=/dev/hda7 of=/dev/hdc7
dd if=/dev/hda8 of=/dev/hdc8
dd if=/dev/hda9 of=/dev/hdc9

Thanks
  Tim

weirdo AT linuxalien DOT tk (MSN Enabled) | ICQ# 255176389 | Riverton,
Perth, WA
Dot TK ambassador #24084 - For a .tk redirect, contact me.