[plug] grep task?

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Sat Nov 22 16:20:52 WST 2003

In message <1069482442.29331.170.camel at latte.internal.itmaze.com.au>
on Sat, Nov 22, 2003 at 05:27:23PM +1100, Onno Benschop wrote:
> Perhaps another way to put it would be to say that from your message I
> see no evidence that you tried anything yourself, so I see no reason to
> do anymore than point you in the right direction.

Seems pretty common on this list, but I there are several advantages to
carrying on regardless:

 - if the problem has been stated in a thoughtful or constructive way,
   it is fair enough to provide some decent feedback at least,
 - sometimes searching your hard drive or the web is largely a "needle
   in the haystack" approach,
 - as you yourself implied in one of your own questions to the list (you
   said "Before I start writing code..."), it can be useful to scout
   about before embarking,
 - there may be times when it is fair to say that there is an
   opportunity for this "community" to pass on some good generic habits
   and to point out obscure 'gotchas',
 - "there is always someone younger[, smarter] and better looking" who
   is willing to share,
 - if people post their own solutions gratis, there is the opportunity
   to pick up all sorts of interesting motifs or point out all sorts of
   improvements,
 - Brad Campbell might be kind enough to dump the contents of his hard
   drives to the list again.