[plug] copy old hdd to new hdd

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sat Nov 22 21:45:12 WST 2003

>>>or do I need to recreate the partition table on the new table and copy
>>>each partition separately?
>
>>The this approach much wiser unless the drives are totally identical.
>
> Just checking -  I know the partition table is sensitive to
> drive geometry, but the partitions dont care, right? ie FAT,ntfs,ext2,
> etc all just see a partition as a sequence of blocks?

Correct - all filesystems I know about don't care, so long as the
partition is at least as big as the filesystem has been told it is.
That's why you can (under linux, which has the kernel infrastructure to
support it) loopback mount filesystems from files.

>   Is it OK to copy the partition table if both disks look the same in LBA
> mode?

Maybe. Don't do it unless the drives are identical, just to be safe.

Craig Ringer