[plug] Boot Sequence and dependant files.

Adam Davin bladebadger at westnet.com.au
Mon Nov 24 09:05:01 WST 2003

G'day Cameron,

Yes, that is probably something I will look at, it might fit the purpose.

The clients in question are diskless clients and so are mounting the root directory from the server via NFS
Basically I am trying to make a client's root footprint as small as possible as this is stored on the server and exported via NFS.

I am copying from the server, I guess because most of the servers directories (/bin /lib /sbin /usr /home) will all be mounted over the top of the clients minimalist directories.  Each client should only need the files to get it through the rcS.d (not even that, only about half way through) as by the time this is finished, the client should have a full file system. The problem is working out which files depend on which other files in a nice orderly way, rather than going through the delete file, reboot, oh good no errors, delete next file reboot, whoops need that one, etc...

On the topic of NFS, has anyone looked at or tried the "coda" filesystem I keep seeing in the kernel and meaning to get around to trying?

Thanks again,

Regards