[plug] Red Hat package management

John Clayton mageaere at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 25 05:46:14 WST 2003

Red Hat has a package management system. It has  package installation,
uninstallation and dependancy checking that looks in a database to see what
packages you have installed. Everything else you have to do yourself. Its
all command line and there are black candles made especially for the purpose
of keeping evil spirits away while you install uninstall upgrade and freshen
your packages.

Abandon Hope All Yee Who Enter The Domain Of RPM.

Those things like apt dselect and all those others that recursively check
dependancies and get all the bits and pieces that you need without asking
any hard questions take all the fun out of life (-: and would more
accurately be called package and dependancy management systems.

With RPM you get to manage the dependancies as you see fit and get the
opportunity to have all the fun that ensues when you select the nodeps
option. :-)