[plug] backup script

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Nov 25 16:47:54 WST 2003

> find /var /usr | cpio -i | ssh $BACKUPSERVER 'dd of=/dev/st0'

In fact, I'm currently running:

# sync && sync && sync && \
 >   lvmcreate -s -n var_s -L 2G /dev/OS/var
# mkdir /var_s && mount -o ro /dev/OS/var_s /var_s
# `ssh-agent`
# ssh-add /home/craig/.ssh/id_rsa
# find /dev /lib /sbin /bin /etc /opt /var_s /usr | \
 >   cpio -i -H crc -v -F craig at access:/dev/st0

to do a snapshot of our server to a single DDS4 tape as normal files. I
normally use images, but it's always best to have a fallback when it's a
mission-critical bit of equipment. I'm only bothering to snapshot /var -
nothing else is likely to change.

Of course, if you're not using LVM you'll want to stop all services
first or 'init 1' the server. I suggest LVM ;-)

Hope this helps.

Craig Ringer