[plug] Linux webcam / camera

Richard Meyer meyerri at au1.ibm.com
Wed Nov 26 11:08:37 WST 2003

----- Forwarded by Richard Meyer/Australia/Contr/IBM on 26/11/2003 11:06 AM
-----

                      Onno Benschop
                      <onno at itmaze.com.        To:       PLUG <plug at plug.linux.org.au>
                      au>                      cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: [plug] Linux webcam / camera
                      plug-admin at plug.l
                      inux.org.au

                      26/11/2003 10:50
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      plug

On Wed, 2003-11-26 at 13:20, Richard Meyer wrote:
>> Talking of that, there was an article in the November issue of Linux
Format
>> re a package whose name totally eludes me at the moment. Anyway this
>> package allowed you to connect webcams to a linux box and only scan
>> portions of the image for movement. The developer had used it to capture
>> first the photos then the bodies of a bunch of scum who were breaking
into
>> garages in his street.

>motion?

That's how I read it. You could take an image as displayed and with a few
mouse movements tell it to check for motion only in (say) the top left
corner, and centre right, ignoring the potplants blowing in the breeze
elsewhere.

RichardM