[plug] backup script

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Wed Nov 26 14:54:20 WST 2003

On Wednesday 26 November 2003 12:10, James Devenish wrote:
> In message <200311261201.22256.T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au>
>
> > "No manual entry for sync in section 2"
>
> <blank stare/> I find that hard to believe :-) Oh well.
> Perhaps try <http://www.linuxcentral.com/linux/man-pages/sync.2.html>.

You could've just quoted a sentence or two from the page:

BUGS

According to the standard specification (e.g., SVID), sync() schedules the
writes, but may return before the actual writing is done. However, since
version 1.3.20 Linux does actually wait. (This still does not guarantee data
integrity: modern disks have large cashes.)

So, Linux itself hasn't had this problem in a long time - and you should wait
a little anyway for hardware caching. Either way, a sleep would be more
effective than multiple sync's...

On Wednesday 26 November 2003 12:16, Cameron Patrick wrote:

> | > "No manual entry for sync in section 2"
>
> apt-get install manpages-dev should fix it :-)

Yes, it probably would. Still not convinced that I should, though, since I
don't require the info with any regularity myself... ^_^

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |