zsh and screen (was: Re: [plug] console scroll)

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Thu Nov 27 23:38:42 WST 2003

In message <20031127150944.GN14435 at erdos.home>
on Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 11:09:44PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 10:55:38PM +0800, Bernard Blackham wrote:
> | Sounds like one of those cases of bad first impressions... things
> | just worked for me. I was stoked to find out that things like
> | completion over ssh for scp "just worked(tm)".
>
> Really?  Just fired up zsh temporarily ... scp euclid:p<TAB><TAB><TAB>
> ... nothing happens.  And it shouldn't even want a password to log in or
> anything!  So make that bad second impressions too :-/

Sounds like you're going to have to push some pedals (wonder why sid
isn't making it easy for you!). You should be able to make completion
work by running:

% autoload -U compinit
% compinit

The completion is highly configurable and there is also a menu system to
configure your preferences for the completion system. This might sound
like overkill, but at least for you it will set up your .zshrc so that
completion is available next time you invoke zsh. You may find it
useful to do a teensy bit of customisation, too. Among many other
things, I like to have:

zstyle ':completion:*:*:cd:*' tag-order local-directories path-directories
zstyle ':completion:*:*:cd:*' ignored-patterns '(|*/)(.svn|CVS)'

I hardly remember what those do, other than that I would be upset
without them.

But as for zsh in general, I like it not only for interactive features
(e.g. RPROMPT) but also the 'oh yeah, now *that* makes sense' things
(e.g. typeset -U PATH, setopt hist_allow_clobber, ls -d *(/)). It is
also good for scripting (e.g. if "C was written for programmers" then
"zsh was written for sh scripters", I think).