[plug] Weird!, but the question is, how can I fix or delete these files?

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Sat Nov 29 18:29:56 WST 2003

On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 06:02:42PM +0800, William Kenworthy wrote:
> does "chmod 644 *".  However in a bash shell you can give the first few
> letters and hit tab and get the completed file name.  I downloaded the
> files and copied them to their current location.  Trying to open them
> via a browser calling xpdf fails with an "unknown error", but xpdf will
> open them if I cd to the directory and "xpdf filename" in a console.

A couple of possibilities I can think of:

1) Run lsattr over the directory and see if the immutable (i) bit is
set. If so, use chattr -i to unset it, then delete/modify.

2) Maybe your filesystem needs fscking?

3) Your system may have a root kit that is trying to hide files -
wacky behaviour such as this generally ensues, but this is a far
stretch. Boot from a CD or known good kernel and see if it still is
a problem...

Or it could well be something else... :)

HTH,

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham <bernard at blackham dot com dot au>