[plug] boot, kernel,

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Sun Nov 30 10:25:29 WST 2003

On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 09:49:39AM +0800, smclevie wrote:
> How does one make a Sid Debian 2.4.22 kernel automatically set a fixed eth0

Does Debian have an /etc/sysconfig directory? Is there a "network"
sub-directory? Does that contain a file "ifcfg-eth0"?

The _kernel_ doesn't actually cause the IP addresses to be set; it's
the "rc programs" corresponding to the run-level. These are in
/etc/init.d on standard filesystem hierarchy. You should see one in
there called "network".

	# /etc/init.d/network restart

will stop any network-related processes and take all the interfaces
dow; then load the configuration in /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-*
where * matches any known interface name.

> configuration?  I do not run a graphical interface - just the command
> line.  (I tried to get a graphical interface - it is hopelessly
> dysfunctional)  The ethernet driver is integrated into the
> kernel.  Networkconf doesn't run without GUI.  Pon is OK.  Bind 8.4
> installed.  Ifconfig **** is OK.  Ping is OK.

Integrated? Isn't it a loadable module? If not, why not?

> Thanks for the advice on my boot problems.  I have found that LILO
> does not like my kernel compilation process.

It's typical to "forget" to put the new kernel image or initrd in
/boot; and then to tell lilo to reset its pointers.

> Grub has been successfully installed and it is a great deal hardier.  I
> compile kernels without fear.

> I also note that if specific options are not selected during the
> kernel build certain functions are lost.  (eg pon)
> These functions fail without any notification.  Pon connects to
> ISP then just disconnects ... no explanations at all.

Increase debug level and check the log files in /var/log.
You should be able to establish which phase of connection fails;
it's usually authentication.

> Now for DNS, DHCP, routing, firewalling, Apache, Samba etc, etc!!
> Oh for the day when each of these has a simple, effective,
> reliable setup program from the command line ...

There is....
	$ vi
:-)