[plug] confessions of a dselect lover

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Wed Oct 1 16:02:30 WST 2003

Adam Hewitt wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 15:32, Brad Campbell wrote:
>
>>Quick question.
>>Everywhere I read that dselect is a pain.
>>I have always found dselect easy and powerful to use. Am I an alien?
>>

> I use aptitude only because it keeps track of installed dependencies and
> removes them when they are no longer required, where as dselect doesn't.

apt-get `deborphan` is a great bruteforce way of finding out what self
compiled stuff you have with old libs that are not used by any other
debian packages anymore :p)

But seriously, deborphan is great for cleaning the crap out of a system
where you install/remove packages a lot.

On that, but a slightly different tack, this laptop is the second
install of debian I ever did. It started with kernel 2.0.29? with bo in
about 1998 I think. It's on it's 5th laptop, 7th hard disk and has been
gracefully (or not so gracefully sometimes) upgraded every time..
In fact, up until 8 months ago, our old 486 print server was still
running debian bo..

Things have changed over the last few years !

Brad