[plug] Rotating logs on a Workstation...

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Wed Oct 1 21:32:16 WST 2003

I'm hoping there's a simple, obvious answer to this. My home PC, running
Debian 3.0 (Woody), is NOT on all the time, and it seems, does not
always rotate log files as often as it should. As a result, I end up
with a rather large /var/, and no free disk space.

As an example, /var/log/messages was last rotated in March. The current
messages file is 40Mb. (No, not huge, but I've had this config since
back in the days when 2Gig was PLENTY for a root fs...)

I've tried manually running logrotate. I've tried editing logrotate so
it rotates by default daily instead of weekly. Still no rotation going on.

What am I missing? How can this be avoided?

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |