[plug] Slow kernel compile after rebuild

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Thu Oct 2 19:42:59 WST 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 11:04, James Devenish wrote:
> In message <1064890583.387.44.camel at vaio>
> on Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 10:56:23AM +0800, Ryan wrote:
> > Can anyone suggest why after I rebuilt my laptop over the weekend my
> > kernels now take almost exactly twice as long to compile?
> [...]
> > I'm using: gcc version 3.3.2 20030908 (Debian prerelease) - which is the
> > same version I was using before the rebuild.
>
> Before reading you last paragraph, my exact idea was that you are now
> using gcc 3 in contrast to previously using gcc 2. The slowdown is
> typical of gcc 3, and would have explained why the slowdown is limited
> to kernel compilation and not general system performance. Oh well.

These gcc 3 speed issues you say are normal ... is this the designed
behaviour - if so do you know why?  It is also muffing up some parts of
the kernel - namely the ide-scsi bits.  Either module or built-in under
gcc 3 compiled fine, but the kernel barfs when it loads, but when
compiled with 2.95 is it fine all round.

Normal teething problems?

Ryan