[plug] Slow kernel compile after rebuild

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Oct 2 22:32:45 WST 2003

>>These gcc 3 speed issues you say are normal ... is this the designed
>>behaviour - if so do you know why?
>
> Perhaps gcc 3 is so much of a rewrite that no one has had time to
> tighten up its code, yet.

My understanding is that a large part of the slowdown is caused by gcc3
being much more pedantic about the code. This qualifies as a good thing
in my mind. OTOH, I'll bet if there was a '--disable-error-checking
(DON'T USE EXCEPT FOR TESTING)' flag, people would use it and then
complain that their systems don't work.

The same people, no doubt, who turn off journaling support in
filesystems like ext3 and NTFS "to make it faster". Sure it does, but
just PERHAPS it's there for a good reason?

>>It is also muffing up some parts of the kernel - namely the ide-scsi
>>bits.  Either module or built-in under gcc 3 compiled fine, but the
>>kernel barfs when it loads, but when compiled with 2.95 is it fine all
>>round.
>
> That seems surprising for i386. Might not be a compiler bug per se,
> since it is possible for the kernel to contain coding errors. Not sure
> who compiles their kernel with gcc 3

Red Hat, among others. It should work, or at least 3.2 should - if
you're using GCC 3.3, I couldn't tell you.

Craig Ringer