[plug] ext3 accident

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Oct 3 13:24:38 WST 2003

> Is this a lesson not to use ext3? and to do something else that you
> might suggest?

RAID.

If you were getting I/O errors, looking a bit like this (though this
particular one is OK):
hdc: drive_cmd: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
you're quite probably looking at a drive failure.

I have had both ext3 and reiserfs die horribly on me, and each time it's
turned out to be drive failure. I've had a lot of experience with dying
drives, alas.

I'd certainly suggest that you treat that disk with suspicion. I'd
suggest using the manufacturer's drive tools, except that only some
manufacturers have ones that actually work.

Craig Ringer