[plug] ext3 accident

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Oct 3 14:31:50 WST 2003

> There have been no such hard drive errors reported, only EXT3 errors on
> the console.  I'm still giving the drive a good thrashing - including
> with the manufacturers disk tools (not that I trust them) and it is not
> showing any problems.  The connectors did not come lose as per Bill's
> suggestion, other drives in the unit have had no troubles, there was no
> power loss, no sinister hardware glitches, nothing.
>
> Needless to say, I'll use another drive for the rebuild :)

In that case, all I can say is "weird". That's the first ext3 failure
I've heard of that hasn't been hardware-related (crash, CPU overheating,
drive failure, etc). Not that I find it excessively hard to believe that
the various filesystems under linux could have lurking fatal bugs, just
that I've never heard of people running into one.

I tend to use reiserfs for my systems, but that's as much a performance
concern as reliability, as they seem much of a muchness in that area. I
have noticed that reiserfs seems to fail more severely when it's hit by
disk issues - at one stage I had a reiserfs filesystem that caused a
soft reset when I tried to mount it! OTOH, it's rock solid during normal
use, and disk issues are what RAID and backups are for. Personally, I
like the ~10x speed improvement I got from Cyrus when moving from ext3
to reiser.

Craig Ringer