[plug] Hoo-friggin-ray! SA town gets broadband - without Telstra

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Fri Oct 3 20:34:55 WST 2003

Looks like a good strategy. Kinda like the Walmart factor in the states
where when they were first starting up they opened up stores in country
towns where they "instantly" become the center of shopping.

This would be a good way to get to get a telco based on VOIP and data
setup. Move into market segments that aren't even being targeted.

regards,

Chris

On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 16:17, Leon Brooks wrote:
>     http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/10/03/1064988380807.html
>
>     The town of Meningie, which is the gateway to south Australia's
>     Coorong region, has a population of 900 and is considered
>     uneconomic as far as provision of DSL goes.
>
>     Agile Communications, a wholesale partner of the ISP Internode,
>     switched on access to broadband services for the town this week.
>
>     In May 2001, Agile launched the Coorong Project, a $1.3 million
>     Networking The Nation initiative. The company's combination of
>     IP networking and fibre optic-capacity wireless communications,
>     has made phone calls in the region cheaper.
>
>     Agile's partner in the project, the Coorong District Council,
>     says the network has saved the council alone more than $30,000
>     a year in reduced call and data charges.
>
>     Agile managing director Simon Hackett said he was filling a
>     niche market which Telstra was never going to fill. "We can
>     cost-effectively provide broadband services to 20 customers or
>     less whereas Telstra's threshold is 60," he said. "The speeds
>     we offer are the same as those we offer to our Internode
>     customers in cities and the actual download speeds are also
>     the same. So are the subscription rates."
>
> Cheers; Leon

Chris Caston <caston at arach.net.au>
Aptitude Technology