[plug] Debian and daemons

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Sun Oct 5 15:26:42 WST 2003

G'day all,

Is there a recomended way to not have a daemon start on bootup?

I believe redhat has chkconfig which you can use to disable/enable
services on bootup.
With Debian I have always just created a disabled subdir in the rcX.d
and moved the stuff I don't want to start in there.
Is there a "proper" way of doing it?

For example, on my laptop I have apache installed for my web
development, but I don't want to load apache every time I start my
laptop. Now apache has the /etc/apache/apache_not_to_be_run to tell it
not to start on boot, but it's a kludge.
uml is another example. I don't ever want to run the uml_switch daemon,
but it get's installed with uml_utils.

Cheers,
Brad

they are addressed. If you have received this email in error
please notify the sender immediately.

This e-mail message has been scanned for Viruses