[plug] Distro Day2 Saturday 11th Oct 10am

Scott Middleton scott at LinuxIT.com.au
Tue Oct 7 18:34:38 WST 2003

Hi all
We are having another Distro day this weekend. Hopefully it will be as
successful as last time.

We hope the Gentoo users will be happy with the tests. Last time it was
quite surprising how poorly Gentoo scored.

This time we have better computers: PIV 2.6Ghz HT with 2x256MB Dual
channel RAM, Nvidia AGP, Intel 865 chipset so it should be a reasonable
test. Supplied by Evolution Xtreme - www.evox.com.au
We have three computers -
1. Debian (Woody/Sarge/Sid)
2. Gentoo 1.4
3. ? Mandrake 9.1 or 9.2RC3 - What do people think?

We are also planning (time permitting) to test HT on 2.4.22 and the 2.6
kernels.

What we need:
1. Some tests that people recommend (along with instructions).
2. Impartial experts in Debian and Mandrake installation/tweaking (We
already have the Gentoo expert, although I'm sure Bill wouldn't mind
some extra help). Otherwise it will be Matt and myself.

We already have the Gentoo computer, Thursday/Friday we will have the
other two. So some time will be available for pre-tweaking :)

Please feel free to come and visit us. 271a South Street Hilton, cnr of
Carrington Street. While our office is not all that big, we can fit a
few people who are interested in visiting (Bring a beer or two or
ice-coffee/choc-milk if under-age). Don't be afraid if your new to Linux
and have questions or just want to watch.

Regards

--
Scott Middleton <scott at LinuxIT.com.au>