[plug] Extreme text editing

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Wed Oct 8 11:00:29 WST 2003

On Tuesday 07 October 2003 21:52, J Michael Gilks wrote:

> The total file was 4.3GB on a remote NFS partition and contained 66,709,648
> lines. I eventually opened the file with VI navigated to line 10,557,152,
> changed the fifteen offending characters to spaces and closed the file
> after saving.

Um, you imply that you opened this file on an NFS share. Since to really find
a place by a line number, you'll need to read the whole file, then I'd say
your network will be your bottle-neck.

Any particular reason you couldn't log in remotely and edit the file locally?
Unless it's a really old HDD, it should be able to read the file a lot faster
reading directly from the HDD.

Either way, unless you can seek from a random point in the file onwards, find
the bit to edit, and adjust that way, any other method would involve reading
the entire file (or at least up to that line number - how far through the
file was it?)

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |