[plug] Distro Day2 Saturday 11th Oct 10am

Richard Meyer meyerri at au1.ibm.com
Wed Oct 8 13:05:57 WST 2003

----- Forwarded by Richard Meyer/Australia/Contr/IBM on 08/10/2003 12:56 PM
-----

                      Bret Busby
                      <bret at busby.net>         To:       plug list <plug at plug.linux.org.au>
                      Sent by:                 cc:
                      plug-admin at plug.l        Subject:  Re: [plug] Distro Day2 Saturday 11th Oct 10am
                      inux.org.au

                      08/10/2003 12:46
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      plug

>On Tue, 7 Oct 2003, Scott Middleton wrote:

>> Hi all
>> We are having another Distro day this weekend. Hopefully it will be as
>> successful as last time.
>

>What exactly is this?

It was an attempt to get an objective idea as to which Linux distros
(kernel options + libs) were fastest on similar hardware.

>> We hope the Gentoo users will be happy with the tests. Last time it was
>> quite surprising how poorly Gentoo scored.
>>
>> This time we have better computers: PIV 2.6Ghz HT with 2x256MB Dual
>> channel RAM, Nvidia AGP, Intel 865 chipset so it should be a reasonable
>> test. Supplied by Evolution Xtreme - www.evox.com.au
>> We have three computers -
>> 1. Debian (Woody/Sarge/Sid)
>> 2. Gentoo 1.4
>> 3. ? Mandrake 9.1 or 9.2RC3 - What do people think?
>

>Whatever the event is, why is RH excluded?

I asked the same re SuSE last time and the answer was that the object of
the distro day was to check out dissimilar distro's.

1)Gentoo was included because it was a roll-your-own distro, where
everything was compiled up front, with whatever optimization was best for
that CPU.

2)Debian was included because the Debian people would be furious if it was
left out  ;) -- OK JOKE. It was included because it's a distro that runs on
everything from i386 ---> i686.

3)Mandrake was included because it is delivered from the factory with
optimizations for more advanced chips, so should be the fastest commersial
distro.

All other distros fell somewhere in between, and also they did not have
unlimited time to test every distro out there.

These distros were felt to express the extremes of the Linux world.

Please correct me if I'm wrong - Indy, Scott, Matt, Bill?

RichardM