[plug] Distro Day2 Saturday 11th Oct 10am

Richard Meyer meyerri at au1.ibm.com
Wed Oct 8 13:33:21 WST 2003

----- Forwarded by Richard Meyer/Australia/Contr/IBM on 08/10/2003 01:24 PM
-----

                      Scott Middleton
                      <scott at linuxit.co        To:       plug list <plug at plug.linux.org.au>
                      m.au>                    cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: [plug] Distro Day2 Saturday 11th Oct 10am
                      plug-admin at plug.l
                      inux.org.au

                      08/10/2003 01:09
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      plug

>On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 13:05, Richard Meyer wrote:

>> >What exactly is this?
>>
>> It was an attempt to get an objective idea as to which Linux distros
>> (kernel options + libs) were fastest on similar hardware.
>>
>> >Whatever the event is, why is RH excluded?
>>
>> I asked the same re SuSE last time and the answer was that the object of
>> the distro day was to check out dissimilar distro's.

Just a few followons to this. I reread it and it wasn't as crystal clear as
it was when I wrote it. Somewhere along the wires the gremlins changed my
meanings.  ;)

>> 1)Gentoo was included because it was a roll-your-own distro, where
>> everything was compiled up front, with whatever optimization was best
for
>> that CPU.

Meaning that someone could install on a certain machine and tweak the
optimisations for *that* box.

>> 2)Debian was included because the Debian people would be furious if it
was
>> left out  ;) -- OK JOKE. It was included because it's a distro that runs
on
>> everything from i386 ---> i686.

Debian is thus "optimised" for i386.

>> 3)Mandrake was included because it is delivered from the factory with
>> optimizations for more advanced chips, so should be the fastest
commersial
>> distro.

I should have said the most "optimised for faster chips" commercial distro,
therefore probably the fastest.

Having said all that, the results, (which are on www.linmagau.org, as Scott
pointed out), tend to show that optimization is the enemy of speed on those
boxes. Debian did surprisingly well, fighting for top place with MDK
(IIRC), with Gentoo trailing by quite a bit (in THESE tests on THESE
boxes).