[plug] Preferred virus engines for amavis

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Thu Oct 9 12:37:44 WST 2003

Scott Middleton wrote:

> After the thread last week i started looking at f-prot.
> It comes as a Debian binary, installed with no dependencies in woody.
> Also comes with its own update script which works well and they provide
> you with a free trial version. The price it seems is $299UD for up to 25
> users. I have been testing it for here for a week now.

I second that, I used it for over 12 months hooked into amavis. I did
not even know about the deb packages at the time, I just downloaded it
and installed it in /usr/local.
The other thing I did was symlink the virus defs to a r/o share in samba
so the windows clients could update their virus defs from it as well.
Ran the auto-update script twice daily (sometimes there were 2 updates
in a day) and never let a virus of any kind through the E-mail system.

Brad