[plug] A new modem needed?

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Sat Oct 11 17:36:18 WST 2003

I can relate to this discussion as we are currently trying to get a Netgear ADSL modem to work (2nd modem) with Swiftel and all we have been given is the run around about getting a Telstra technican to come out and test the line and charge you for it.  They have been out twice and verified that the link is working.  We have a link light on but cannot get any further.  Followed the manual instructions step by step and even had someone else try it and still no go.  Yet the response from them is we have this model and that model and we would send this to you for $$$.  Some ISP's need to get their act together. At least I can honestly say ours has good support.

Jon

Jon L. Miller, MCNE, CNS, ASE
Director/Sr Systems Consultant
MMT Networks Pty Ltd
http://www.mmtnetworks.com.au

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure
 is trying to please everybody." -Bill Cosby

In message <3F87A39D.4010600 at postnewspapers.com.au>
on Sat, Oct 11, 2003 at 02:30:53PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> The main thing to remember is that the ISP will say "you can't use that"
> or "it won't work" when they mean "we don't know if it works, don't know
> how to do it, and don't want to talk to you about it."

While a lot of us would recognise "to do that you'll need to buy a new
$GADGET" as a generic "this is not supported" response, doesn't it
sound like a particularly wasteful response to be giving to people?