[plug] Warning--rant ahead

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Sun Oct 12 20:50:20 WST 2003

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 21:43, Brad Campbell wrote:
> If they are not 110% sure about something, they don't even try.

The thing that gets my goat is that they won't admit to being unsure
either, they'll just try to snow you.

> The summary of Simon's point though is..
> "Know what you don't know"

Agree.

> Nobody got fired for "I'm sorry sir I'm unsure of that, I'll find out
> and call you tomorrow".

Yes, they did. )-:

Lots of PHBs want to see you deal confidently with a problem. Never mind
that in some cases "confidently" == "recklessly".

> Hell I had one client look at me with complete surprise and tell me I
> was the first person they had spoken to who would not bullshit them
> and admit I did not know the answer!. Suffice to say he became a
> lifetime client.

(-:

Works for me, too. And I think the PHBs you do lose aren't worth keeping
in the first place.

Cheers; Leon