[plug] Sending attachment

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Mon Oct 13 10:14:23 WST 2003

In message <00f801c3912f$4951bd90$0301050a at xp2100>
on Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 10:11:12AM +0800, Paul Arch wrote:
>  I want to send an email from the command line using something like ;
>     mail -s 'whatever' xyz at hostname.com < message.txt
>
>  This works fine, but now I also want to attach a file with the
>  message I am sending - the file is a PDF that is automatically
>  generated at the end of each month, and I want to include this in the
>  message that is sent out.

There isn't really such thing as e-mail attachments. What is actually
used is MIME, which allows you to use text e-mail so send non-text
content (provided that the client support MIME). Pre-MIME systems for
sending "attachments" in e-mail have included uuencode, for instance.

>  Without having to resort to using some other method, does anyone know
>  if there is a flag I can use to attach a file with the method above ?

Note that mailers like mutt will accept filenames for MIME attachment
via the command line.

You may find some prior discussion in the PLUG archives:
<http://www.cantech.net.au/plug/2003-05/msg00368.html>