[plug] PDF in Linux

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Tue Oct 14 12:33:22 WST 2003

In message <3F8B7ADD.3080209 at leftclick.com.au>
on Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 12:26:05PM +0800, Ben New wrote:
> Guess that's just a personal style thing.  I spend most of my time (when
> I'm not solidly typing) with one hand on the mouse, the other on the
> keyboard, and since ctrl+x/v/c is all with the left hand, I find it
> pretty easy.  Maybe a Dvorak keyboard would screw that up a bit :-)

Funny you should mention that...I always use custom key mapping: Dvorak
for regular keys but ALWAYS QWERTY for control-key mappings. I can type
prose in Dvorak but I melt into a gibbering mess if I try to do the same
with control-key mappings.

> The only time I get to dislike it (and I then dislike it A LOT) is
> when I want to select a block of text and paste to replace it. URLs in
> mozilla, or a paragraph of a word processor doc, for example.

One thing I don't like about the copy-on-select paradigm is that it is
possible to unintentionally copy something to the clipboard buffer.
Then when you go to paste...oops, did I just dump a web page onto the
command line? However, it does seem quite pleasant if you are doing a
large amount of copy-and-paste work.