[plug] digital TV

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Oct 15 00:36:03 WST 2003

> It sure will be,thanks heaps. Been trying for days to get a debian kernel
> with saa7134 drivers included to actually work. Never thought that they
> were available as a package.

Well, it's available from www.bytesex.org, the website of the guy who
does v4l, bttv, saa7134, etc. The modules are built out-of-tree against
the current kernel, but you'll still have to patch v4l2 into the kernel
so there's a kernel rebuild in there for you anyway.

saa7134 has only recently started working well enough to be really
useful, at least with my hardware. It's running extremely well now, the
only glitch I'm having is that sometimes it takes a second try to tune
the audio channel in with tvtime - I suspect tvtime is assuming some
bttv behaviour that's not true with saa7134. Oh, and I haven't got
mencoder to record AUDIO yet - *sigh*. ffmpeg will do it, but the video
quality appears to be crap. Just can't win I guess.

Craig Ringer