[plug] Partimage boot disk or cd

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Wed Oct 15 08:37:11 WST 2003

On Tue, 2003-10-14 at 23:06, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 09:52:25PM +0800, Chris Caston wrote:
> | Okay,
> |
> | This one MD5sum'ed alright and I made a directory inside the temp folder
> | where I copied the iso (from the loop moun thing) and used that to place
> | the image created using parted.
> |
> | I then did:
> |
> | mkisofs -r -l -o part.iso /tmpiso/mnt/
> |
> | umask 077
> | cdrecord -v =dev,0,0,0 speed=4 -data part.iso
> |
> | Anyway for some reason it didn't boot... any ideas?
>
> If you're using mkisofs to make a bootable image, you need to use the -b
> option to tell it what to boot.  man mkisofs may help...

Actually I'm really confused by this. I've never played around with
making my own bootable CD's before.

Looking at:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Bootdisk-HOWTO/cd-roms.html

I need to somehow create a .img file (as if from a bootable floppy)

Yet that part should be somewhere in the original iso. If I can find
that then I can go:

mkisofs -r -b boot/boot.img -c boot/boot.catalog -o bootcd.iso

or something...

Any ideas how to get the .img from the original iso?

regards,

Chris