[plug] ananlog TV cards, was digital TV

Mike Holland myk at plug.linux.org.au
Wed Oct 15 10:28:49 WST 2003

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, Garry wrote:

> http://www.digitalyam.com.au/prod482.htm
>
> $78 for the FlyVideo3000 from a place in Victoria.. Certainly cheap
> enough...
>
> Must be out there in Perth at similar prices, beats a big $$ TV!

Whats the advantage of the saa7134 chip over the common BT878? (&
relatives) They are cheap, common, and work well under linux.
I know the FlyVideo3000 has stereo - is that in the chip, or tuner?

The weak link seems to be in the tuner modules, which need a better signal
than the tuners in real TVs or VCRs.
Mine works well on some channels, but has interference on ABC and SBS.
At least it does a proper 7MHz channel, unlike many TVs which show
interference on channel 7, caused by the adjacent digital channel.

--
Ask not for whom the telephone bell tolls...
if thou art in the bathtub, it tolls for thee.