[plug] Free WAIX traffic for WA Swiftel users

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Oct 16 22:03:34 WST 2003

> The politics around WAIX are bad enough, can you imagine the Big Three's
> collective opinion of that idea? PIPE must get them tossing and turning
> of an evening too.
>
> In short, it's a great idea but will require special people and
> significant investment if it's ever to happen.

<rampant-baseless-speculation>

I suspect the best chance of this may be via the utilities, who are
moving into telecommunications. If anybody has an incentive to link the
IXes, it'd be them - provide a superior backbone service, and use the
IXes as an existing peering point rather than having to make peering
arrangements separately with ISPs.

Whether it'll ever happen is another thing entirely, of course. They'll
want to be able to move data without going over the current _expensive_
backbone, though, so it's likely that the state utilities will begin
linking together to bypass the current backbone sooner or later anyway.
Once they've got that, is there any reason /not/ to hook it into the IXes?

Whether you'd get /free/ traffic between them is a big question. I'd
expect not, but it's quite possble that it could be affordable to the
point where your ISP could offer you a $10/month fee hike for "free"
inter-IX traffic.

</rampant-baseless-speculation>

A few interesting things to read:

http://www.budde.com.au/TOC/TOC2685.html
( must pay for full article, but even the summary is telling)

http://www.brightonline.com.au/
(webmaster is crap: install flash first, or get a 404:)

http://whirlpool.net.au/article.cfm/842

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/05/10/1021002394645.html

Craig Ringer