[plug] display overhead (was: NVidia/RENDER)

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Fri Oct 17 07:38:12 WST 2003

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 07:24, James Devenish wrote:
> What I mean to say is that some developers of terminal emulators may
> perceive it to be a "feature not a bug" if the virtual terminal acts
> like a real terminal ;-)

And if you don't... run your trendy new gunwhale-down-with-chrome app
over a modem link and see if you that doesn't inspire you to optimise
some things.

In the Bad Old Days, the technique was simply to step your terminal back
to 300 baud and run your app. I remember watching a CoBOL programmer's
face when we did that to his app and he could see the cursor repainting
some fields up to 14 times. Suddenly, he understood why the boss was
complaining about how slow it was to run from home (over a 2400 baud
dialup).

Cheers; Leon