[plug] [OT] SIP (was Free WAIX traffic for WA Swiftel users)

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Fri Oct 17 08:44:36 WST 2003

I have no experience but I have an interest that will soon lead to
action which will soon lead to (some) experience.

Check out:

http://www.linphone.org/?lang=us&rubrique=1

kphone (could find it in sid but it seems less documented)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/siproxd/

(A SIP proxy for use over NAT/firewall)

There is about to become a hot product. You can build Linux based PABX's
that support SIP and put in WiFI cards. This will totally rock for any
business or institution that has a large grounds area and need to be
able to get in contact with their staff without dishing out ridiculous
GSM fees.

Hopefully people will help turn the freenet into a mesh of public
hotspots and we can all beat the mobile monopolies. I see this as more
important than bringing down the cost of international calls as if you
can call USA for 4c a minute but would be lucky to call someone in a
mobile in the next suburb for less than 30c a minute on peak.

regards,

Chris