[plug] Tailing /dev/tty4

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Fri Oct 17 09:20:26 WST 2003

In message <003a01c3944b$1ce91040$0301050a at xp2100>
on Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 09:07:57AM +0800, Paul Arch wrote:
> I have a process on a remote machine that is piping its output to /dev/tty4.

One thing you could look for is a tool that will "snoop" on a tty line.
However, I think that this usually requires kernel support, or at least
you need to set up a daemon that runs prior to getty. So, it will
probably be easier to attach and trace the process itself. This can
be done easily with `strace`. As a start:

strace -e trace=write -e write=1 -p `pgrep $PROCESSNAME`

The "write=1" part is just a guess. You might want to leave that out
at first.

PS. A pipe is actually a specific mechanism for transferring data
between process and I don't think it applies to kernel devices. So,
we would normally say "writing its output to /dev/tty4".