[plug] display overhead

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Oct 17 09:39:39 WST 2003

>>What I mean to say is that some developers of terminal emulators may
>>perceive it to be a "feature not a bug" if the virtual terminal acts
>>like a real terminal ;-)
>
> And if you don't... run your trendy new gunwhale-down-with-chrome app
> over a modem link and see if you that doesn't inspire you to optimise
> some things.

Uggh. All too familiar with that one - I reported some "interesting"
mozilla drawing bugs in the pre-1.0 days that I was able to see by
running it over 128k ADSL.

> In the Bad Old Days, the technique was simply to step your terminal back
> to 300 baud and run your app. I remember watching a CoBOL programmer's
> face when we did that to his app and he could see the cursor repainting
> some fields up to 14 times. Suddenly, he understood why the boss was
> complaining about how slow it was to run from home (over a 2400 baud
> dialup).

It's an excellent trick. One that can be interesting now is to set up an
ancient computer as an xterm, and watch how your app behaves when the X
server is slow as molasses. That way you can have the entire test setup
in one room - a bit like doing the 300baud test with null-modem.

Craig Ringer