[plug] NVidia drivers and RENDER acceleration

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Oct 17 10:12:23 WST 2003

> | Anyway, this render acceleration finially makes mozilla behave like less
> | of a slug, which by it's self is a really pleasant change.
>
> Back when I had an Nvidia card, enabling render acceleration was a good
> way to get a hard lock-up within a minute or so of X starting :(

I never tried it out until just now, so I don't know about that.
Wouldn't be surprised given the README contents.

> (In
> fact, using the Nvidia binary drivers at all resulted in an incredibly
> unstable system.  Perhaps I was just unlucky, because most of the people
> talking about the Nvidia drivers are quite positive about them.)

In 2001?

The NVidia drivers have been rock-solid, at least for me, for quite some
time. For a while they did have some apm problems, and adding
	alias apm null
to /etc/modules.conf was wise, but otherwise have worked well. That
seems to have gone away some time ago, too - I've found my system, with
the NVidia binary drivers, to be one of the most stable I've ever worked
on. I can't remember having had a problem in at least a year, probably a
lot longer. I'm happy enough with that.

The acceleration seems to be 100% fine so far. If it plays up, I ditch
it - easy - but it's looking good right now.

Craig Ringer